This week for Scams Awareness Month we’re focusing on phone scams – the most common type of scam in the UK.
Cut down unwanted phone calls. Register your number with the Telephone Preference Service: www.tpsonline.org.uk
Tel: 0845 070 0707
Registered with the Telephone Preference Service and still getting nuisance calls?
Report them @ ico.org.uk/for-the-public
Be Scam Aware:
● Cold calls or text messages are common pension scam tactics. Get guidance from www.pensionwise.gov.uk
● Gut feeling says scam? Hang up, wait five minutes to clear the line or use another phone
● Computer firms do not make unsolicited phone calls to help fix your computer
● Telephone numbers starting with 09 are premium-rate numbers – watch out for people asking you to call these and keeping you on the line
● Beware advertising scams demanding payment for services you have verbally consented to
● Don’t be caught cold by investment scams: take your time, get independent advice, check here first http://bit.ly/warninglist