Citizens Advice Cornwall is warning people to be alert for criminal scammers who are riding on the back of the coronavirus outbreak.
The following scams have been reported in various parts of the country:
- Cold callers offering instant fake doorstep Covid-19 screening tests for £10
- Offers of shopping trips where you pay up front and don’t get the goods
- Offers of odd jobs being done to gain entry into your home and stealing
- E-mails asking you to take part in fake coronavirus medical research and asking for your personal details
- Illegal money lenders (loan sharks), offering to lend you money
To check if something is a scam:
- Make sure you only use trusted sources of information about coronavirus.
- If you see emails about coronavirus from someone you don’t know, don’t click on any links or buy anything.
- Don’t give money or personal details to anyone you don’t know or trust – for example, if someone knocks on your door and offers to help.
For more information on checking if something may be a scam go to:
To report a scam, go to: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/scams/reporting-a-scam/