Home / Getting Advice / Specialist Advice

Specialist Advice

Help with Debt

We have a team of six debt specialists working, as local delivery partners for the Money Advice Service, across Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.money_advice_service logo

We provide face-to -face appointments at Saltash, Liskeard, Bodmin, St Austell, Newquay, Falmouth, Camborne and Penzance; or information and advice by ‘phone if this is more convenient to you.

We can advise you on the standard strategies for debt in a confidential, independent and impartial way: payment plans, full & final settlement, bankruptcy, Debt Relief Orders and Individual Voluntary Agreements. Although our service is free some strategies do have costs attached.

As trained Intermediaries for Debt Relief Orders, if this option is chosen, we can prepare and submit the application without any further referral. (The standard criteria for Debt Relief Orders apply – not a homeowner, debts under £20k, surplus income under £50 per month, assets under £100 and car if there is one under £1000.)

We also offer an online self help debt management resource, which you can access by clicking this link


If you have a private defined contribution pension (ie not linked to salary or years of service) you now have freedom to decide what to do with your pension pot. If you are approaching retirement or over 50, and thinking about accessing your pension pot in the next six months Pension Wise is here to help

Pension Wise is the new government service that will help you go through your options so that you can be informed and confident that decisions can be made that are best for you.

Citizens Advice Cornwall is the local partner for the delivery of Pension Wise in Cornwall and North DevonPension_wise_Strap_HMG_RGB

To book a face to face interview with one of our trained guidance specialists phone 0800 138 8292

For further information and guidance visit the website www.pensionwise.gov.uk


If you want information about the State Pension or career average or final salary pensions you can speak to The Pensions Advisory Service 0300 123 1047 and www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk

Cancer patients, their families and carers

Do you have, or know someone with a cancer diagnosis?

Our Citizens Advice Cornwall / Macmillan Project gives welfare benefits advice to anyone who has, or has had, a cancer diagnosis. We also advise your family members and carers if you have a current diagnosis. We can help with grants, benefit applications and appeals. M_mid_RGB

We are based at The Cove, Royal Cornwall Hospital. We give advice by phone or by arranging a suitable appointment and we have drop in sessions for initial advice for new clients.

Please contact us on 01872 256373 for further information and current drop in sessions times or contact us by email – macmillan@citizensadvicecornwall.org.ukMacmillan feedback

Further information about the project is available here Citizens Advice and Macmillan info


Some of the great feedback for the work of the project is captured here and can be read in more detail here . . . 

Our Help to Claim service can support you in the early stages of your Universal Credit claim, from the application, through to your first payment.

Help to Claim is a dedicated service from Citizens Advice. It’s free, independent, confidential and impartial. Our trained advisers can help with things like how to gather evidence for your application or how to prepare for your first Jobcentre appointment.

You can contact an adviser through our free national Help to Claim phone service on 0800 144 8 444. Advisers are available 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

You can also contact us via webchat. Chat lets you talk to a trained adviser online about your Universal Credit application process. Chat is usually available 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. It’s not available on public holidays. If no advisers are available, the chat box won’t appear.

To connect you to the right adviser, we’ll ask you for a few details, including your postcode. Read our privacy policy to find out how we store and use your personal information. Some ‘ad blocker’ software can stop chat working. If you use an ad blocker, make sure to add ‘citizensadvice.org.uk’ as a trusted site.

Check you have everything you need to apply for Universal Credit:

Before you apply for Universal Credit, you’ll need to gather some information together. This will help make sure you only have to do the application once, and help you to get Universal Credit as quickly as possible if you’re eligible.

Don’t start your application until you have all of the following details for you and your partner with you:

· Your postcode

· Details of your bank, building society or credit union account (if you don’t have a bank account, you’ll need to open one or use simple payment (https://www.gov.uk/simple-payment)

· The type of accommodation you have eg. private rent, council tenant, or housing association tenant – make sure you check this before you apply

· How much rent you pay – this can be found on your rent agreement, ask your landlord for a copy if you don’t have one

· Your landlord’s address – this can be found on your rent agreement, ask your landlord for a copy if you don’t have one

· Your landlord’s phone number

· Details of any savings you have and any other ‘capital’ investments e.g. shares or property that you don’t live in

· Details of any income that’s not from work eg. from a pension or insurance plan

· Details of how much you earn from work eg. recent payslips

· How much you pay for childcare (if you want to claim for childcare costs)

· Details of any other benefits you’re getting ie: what benefit and how much you get

· Child benefit reference numbers for any children you have if you get child benefit – this can be found on letters to you about child benefit – it will start with ‘CHB’ and is made up of 8 numbers and 2 letters e.g. CHB12345678 AB – phone the Child Benefit Office on 0300 200 3100 (textphone 0300 200 3103) if you need help

You’ll need evidence for all these details for when you go to your interview, so you’ll need to gather all the documents together.


Family Court Domestic Abuse Support Service

Our service offers practical information about the court
process and emotional support to help victims feel more
confident about attending family court hearings.

It’s free, independent, confidential and impartial.

Who we can help

Any applicant or respondent attending a family court who
identifies as a victim of domestic abuse. We’ll give priority to:
● Litigants in person (representing themselves)
● Private family law cases (involving child disputes and
protective orders)

Advance referral to the service


Partner number: 0300 330 1161
Applicant / respondent number: 0300 332 1000
If the hearing is within 3 days, contact should be made by
phone rather than the online form.